Monday, September 2, 2013

The Benefits of Being Sick

Copied from facebook August 20, 2013

So today during one of my ASL classes, we were discussing health conditions and how one might sign "I used to be able to do ..., but now I can't!" And my teacher seemed very impressed with my facial expression to go with that. And I got to thinking that maybe my facial expression for that was so perfect because maybe that is my attitude too often. I focus too much on what I've lost being sick and not what I've gained.
It's hard to see the good in being sick at times, but it's there if you really want to find it. So tonight during my run, Jesus and I had a heart-to-heart about it. And I came up with quite a few good things in my life *because* of my being sick- not in spite of it.
  • First of all, I discovered that I actually kinda like running. Who knew?!
  • I get to have food pretty much anywhere I want. Who's going to tell the girl who passes out that she can't eat?
  • My doctors give me permission to eat as much salt as my little heart desires. :) and then some!
  • I got to buy cute new clothes because of the weight I lost. 
  • My Daddy feels bad for me, so he buys me shoes. I love shoes. 
  • I have memory problems, so if something is horrible, chances are I'll forget it anyway.
  • A lot of people know who I am, even if it is just as "oh, so you're the one that passed out last time!"
  • I've seen a level of compassion in my friends and family that I wouldn't have otherwise seen. I have had friends literally sit and cry with me for hours on end. People don't stick around through stuff like this unless they truly care.
  • I get to be there and support my friend who was just diagnosed with the same thing.
  • I have a bonafide excuse for not liking medicine.
  • I know from experience that you can go to Troy Regional ER and come out alive.
  • I got cute new glasses that make me look smart because this screwed up my vision.
  • I am slowly growing closer to God. It's a roller coaster, but I wouldn't be doing this well without Him.
  • The promise of Heaven is even sweeter because I know I will be fully healed then if not before.
I'm sure there are many many more, but a girl can only run for so long. :) 

This song (Different Light by Big Daddy Weave) is wonderful, by the way. I'm not sick for someone's kicks and giggles. My God has a plan, and He's using this. And He'll continue to use it. And that makes it worth it. Feel free to remind me of this often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment