Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Choosing the Better Thing

I just want you to know something- it's okay to put off homework and sit in God's presence. It's okay to enjoy God more than Netflix. It's okay to worship God instead of worrying about whatever. It's okay to treasure Christ more than this earth.

It's okay. It's actually better.

A few days ago I told someone that my illness wasn't a curse and that I can't say I would take it back. I wouldn't take it back. Don't get me wrong- it still sucks. But Jesus is better.

I'm busy. I'm a full-time student, have a job, and am on leadership for two different groups on campus. I get it; everyone has commitments. I tend to think I can do it all. But Jesus is better.

Jesus is better than whatever person you may be currently obsessing over.
Jesus is better than a perfectly run event.
Jesus is better than straight A's.
Jesus is better than making money.
Jesus is better than a lifetime of not passing out.
Jesus is better than whatever earthly thing you want to put in the blank. I promise you!

Jesus is forever! Everything else is so very temporary.

In case this all sounds a little too familiar, it's with good reason. Martha struggled with her busyness in Luke 10. I struggle with my busyness now, and I know I'm not alone. Truth be told, I told feel guilty about any of my activities. They are all good things. But they are secondary! Time with my God is crucial, is beautiful, is enthralling, is rebuilding, is awe-inspiring. It's first. At least it should be.

God is more beautiful than anything on this earth. Because no matter how beautiful something here on earth is, it's only a small representation of the fullness of God. Every good thing is from Him. Every good thing reflects His majesty. All the good things we have here should point us to Christ, not take away our time with Him.

Luke 10:38-42 (ESV):
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

I knew the other day when I realized that I could no longer regret my illness that God had called my heart Martha. He's teaching me to be Mary, to not worry or stress and just to sit at His feet. Serving should come out of an overflowing of an abundant relationship with Christ. It's not a replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment