Tuesday, May 27, 2014

In the EMU...Day 1

Contrary to my sister's first impression, I am not currently in an actual emu. I am in the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit at UAB. My sister keeps asking me about the large bird though.

Today is day 1 of my seizure study. I was told to come and expect a 2-5 days stay. So here's what's happened so far-

  • I have 23 electrodes glued to my head. Yes, glued. And they pulled me skin tight while they were gluing the electrodes on so I can't move my face either. If you know me at all, you know I hate having all this crap on my head and in my hair. 
  • I am on a sleep deprivation plan. They will keep me awake until 4am, and then wake me again at 7am. Who volunteers to stay up and talk to me until 4am??? 
  • They truly are planning to torture me into an episode with flashing lights and making me hyperventilate and such as that.
  • I am being constantly watched. Constantly- there's a camera in my room. 
  • I had to explain freckles to my doctor. "No, I wasn't born with them. No, they don't go away. No, they don't itch." Really? A doctor doesn't know what a freckle is? I am not feeling very confident.
I'm really quite bored. I'm just sitting here waiting to pass out. Mom's here with me, and my sister visited me today. 

So yeah, it's not terribly fun here, and I would really love to pass out pronto and GO HOME!!! Pray for that pretty please!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment